Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." - Isaiah 30:21

Monday, August 27, 2012

Shadow Girl

The outline of a runner moves ahead of me.
Visor, ear buds, shoelaces. Strong shoulders and a narrow waist. No one I recognize. I struggle clumsily to keep pace.

A car slows for the crosswalk. I wave. Time to walk. She waves, but doesn't slow. So much for walking.

We reach the corner, and she runs beside me. Quiet, but good company. Together we count mailboxes.
She asks, Think you can make it to the stop sign?

No. There are too many mailboxes on this street. I don't know, I've never tried before.

Red and white move closer. S-T-O-P. A cramp in my side. S-T-O-P. And my foot. My chest tightens. S-T-O-P.
But we don't. Suddenly I am breathing easier. Muttering, "Wow."

We turn for home. She falls a step behind.
One hill left.
C'mon. Keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment